Sunday, April 27, 2008

Camping and S'mores



Ben was off of school on Friday (which, by the way, is the greatest three-day weekend set up, all federal and state holidays should be switched to Fridays) and so we went camping on Thursday night.

We had a great night sleeping under the pecan trees, near the Guadalupe River.
It was warm enough to sleep on top of our sleeping bags, but not so warm that it was uncomfortable. Clark loved being outside with the endless abundance of sticks and rocks to play with.
He is definitely an outdoor boy.

We saw an armadillo (yes! for reals, and not squished on the road), some cardinals, deer, some little fish, and red ants carrying three times their body weight. Those red ants turned out to be allergic to gasoline and flames. Ben is an outdoor boy too.

Clark was also introduced to S'mores during our camp out. And he loved them. He loved to stuff the marshmallow into his mouth and then use his index finger to drag the gooey mess across his face.
Repeat 40 times.
He generally doesn't like to have sticky fingers. . . so this was quite uncomfortable.


We spent some time at the river, picking up rocks, throwing them in, getting wet, sitting down in the river and even swimming in his birthday suit (just Clark).
All in all, easily the best Francisco Family Campout of 2008.

10 comments:

Diana said...

Wow he is getting big! What a sticky mess with the marshmellow all over his face

JethRobyn said...

That looks like so much fun! Clark is like his uncle jethro, he cries to if he has sticky fingers. We should do a camp out with the boys when you are here, but maybe somewhere where there aren't bears.

hosander said...

ummm that was funny. also, he got it in his hair

JoEllen said...

I love it! I love that he has marshmellow all over. He looks like such a little BOY...but I guess that is why we have more babies. Your family is so adorable.

Katie said...

So cute! Yes, I got the journal. I actually just did it today. It was fun to tell someone all the great things about Rochester. Why don't I have your email address? Send it my way katieachristensen@gmail.com
Chow

Lindsey Whiting said...

That's a handy way to get rid of ants...I wish I could do that to my yard, on second thought I guess I just planted grass and gas and grass don't mix well...The place you guys chose looks beautiful!! And I love the smores all over Clarks face!

Sara said...

I love that marshmellow face!

Jenni S said...

Camping is great fun! Although we haven't tried it with Katelin yet so we'll see. She's kind of attatched to her crib so it might not go over too well. I'm glad you guys got to get out and enjoy nature. Fun, fun!

Unknown said...

for a second there, i thought Clark was Mary!!! he's so stinking cute!

JEM said...

So fun. It reminded me of when you and I camped together at the Relief Society retreat. You were one of the finest tent-mates I've ever had. Also, I'd like to congratulate you on spelling marshmallow correctly.