Most people, Kamala, are like a falling leaf that drifts and turns in the air, flutters, and falls to the ground. But a few others are like stars which travel one defined path: no wind reaches them, they have within themselves their guide and path. Among all the wise men, of whom I knew many, there was one who was perfect in this respect. . . [the Buddha]. Thousands of young men hear his teachings every day and follow his instructions every hour, but they are all falling leaves; they have not the wisdom and guide within themselves.--Siddhartha, Herman Hesse
Other versions of the same thought:
And because that they are redeemed from the fall they have come free forever, knowing good from evil; to act for themselves and not to be acted upon-- 2 Nephi 2:26, God
Be a producer, not a consumer-- Ben and Jan
Pretty much, anytime we are unhappy or dissatisfied, it is because we are being acted upon, we are leaves being blown by the wind. When we take control of our actions, emotions and thoughts, we are acting--using the intelligence that God gave us, and we are happy.
That's simply my life philosophy and lifetime goal.
5 comments:
I would like to add to that equation. I think the thing that sets apart great people from average people is the amount of TV they watch in their spare time.
Jan and Ben,
Thank you for this thought. I know a lot of people that think that religion, organized or any other form, makes us leaves. When really, I believe, it can teach us how to become a star and share our light with others. (which is what I strive and hope to show my family everyday!)
You guys are such amazing examples, thank you!
-Seantae J. :)
Hey Jethrobyn, nice to know what you really think of me. I appreciate it.
Love your thought. I love all of your thoughts. In response to your comment on our page...Kayson was a peapod for his very first Halloween, a pumpkin the second and will be Spiderman this year. Branson will now be the pea in the pod, then the pumpkin and we'll see how he feels about Spiderman in a few years =).
so if you watch lots of television you have taken control of your life? I knew an older guy when I was growing up. His life was basically work, come home and eat in front of the TV, then spend most of the rest of the evening in front of the TV, have a few beers then go to bed.
I kind of thought that if I could get to that stage I would have it made. Sadly my mission and other experiences made me a workaholic so I have trouble sitting around too long. Maybe the next time I retire it will kick in?
Tomorrow night I start a University of Phoenix class on Eastern Religions, I wish I had the time to make them read Siddharta, that is a great book!
Post a Comment