The funeral was wonderful. It was just what he would have wanted and was unique. Boyd made the casket and he was in there, wrapped up in one of mom's quilts--kind of pioneery, but also humble. He didn't want any congregational singing, so we had an instrumental rendition of I am a Child of God . . . then all of the grandkids sang a medley of hymns and then Robyn and Sunny sang the most beautiful rendition of A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief. I honestly don't think that angels would have done a better job. Uncle Boyd gave a life sketch and told about memories he had collected from everyone. Then Joe Young, Grandpa's lifetime friend, spoke about the great character that Grandpa had--and how adventurous and mischievous he has always been.
It was a great day through, full of hope. I especially appreciated the inspiration of his well-lived life, his charity, patience and Christ-like qualities because I have been feeling so discouraged by my weaknesses. We aren't where we need to be yet, but if we use our life the way that Grandpa used his, we will become what we need to be by the time it is over. It is comforting to know that God hasn't give up on me and that I don't have to be perfect to still be worthy of completing my life's mission. I just hope that I will be able to do it as well as Grandpa did it.
We miss you, Grandpa.
2 comments:
Sweet and tender memories. I hope you had a nice day Jan.
Thanks Jan, Robyn and I weren't there, and we feel like we missed out on the feeling of that occasion. I really appreciate you recording your thoughts so elequently and beautifully. I like to think about grandpa as a life example as well.
Post a Comment