
Congenital Rubella in young child
Parotiditis caused by mumps virus (the testicles and ovaries can also swell up like this, but I thought that might be a little too graphic for some viewers).
I found this article interesting. I am a big advocate of vaccines, they have saved countless lives and helped kids, especially, avoid life-threatening illness and consequently loads of dollars. Lash me with your tongue all you want, but I thought I would share this with you all the same.
For some reason, since we have such a good life and don't have to worry about what we are going to put in our mouths at the end of the day, we think that we are so wise and that nothing bad will happen to us again, we don't "remember the captivity of our fathers" (Alma 5:6, Alma 29:11-12). For instance, we tend to think that measles, mumps, rubella, diphtheria, whopping cough, etc, are all "diseases of the past" and we are somehow immune from them. I can almost guarantee you when your kid comes down with a preventable illness like whopping cough, mumps, or rubella (which can cause unborn children to be blind and mentally retarded among other things) you will wish those kiddos would have gotten their vaccines, but then again this is my unsolicited opinion. Oh and by the way, if you are going to live like people did before there were vaccines, follow through with the tradition and please quarantine your kids, even if it is a runny nose and a cough, because that may be the first sign of measles.



10 comments:
I absolutely 100% agree!!
That first picture told me this was going to be another fun post from Ben. Did someone get your kids sick?
no, its just one of our favorite things to hash out.
thanks for this Ben. I've always wondered why on earth people wouldn't want their children to have vaccines. A shot is way better than a long term, dibilitating illness. expect a post about flossing from Tyler soon. it's one of our favorite things to hash out.
I just read a blog of a young mother who lost her newborn to pertussis. She was planning on getting him vaccinated but he wasn't old enough yet. He contracted it from another child that had not been vaccinated and died a pretty painful horrible death. People, VACCINATE!
http://www.natalienortonphoto.com/2010/01/enough-is-enough.html
They just highlighted a lady on our local news who firmly believes her one child caught Autism from vaccines and she's not vaccinating her second. Just a scary thought to me.
Also Is it weird to you, or just me, that my son recently got a vaccine for chicken pox? I thought as young kids, our parents WANTED us to catch this???
And I agree with your final statement. There are twin boys in our ward here who immune systems are extremely weak and our nursery has become very strict that if the leaders see any sign of sickness, they'll take the kid out. I appreciate it even if MY son isn't that weak...it's just the right and responsible thing to do.
Diana,
good question about the chicken pox vaccine. While it isn't usually a "terrible" disease when we are kids, it is what can come later in life that is bad. The varicella zoster virus (which causes chicken pox), lays dormant in our nerves after we have chicken pox when we are little and then when our immune systems decline later in life, it can come back as the shingles. The shingles are horribily painful, and if it comes back in the nerves that deal with the eye, it can lead to blindness among other eye problems. It can also cause post-herpetic neuralgia. Basically the pain of the shingles lingers on and on, but you don't have the skin lesions that come with the shingles. So, the idea of the vaccine to prevent chicken pox is to prevent shingles later in life.
I promise to vaccinate! Now PLEASE bury this yucky post with pictures of your cute kids. Blech.
Ben, what are your thoughts on the recent flu vaccine?
Jen,
I will be honest, I don't know a lot about the swine flu vaccine. I got it, partly because I work with sick people every day and I don't want to infect them, nor do I want to become infected, because I can't afford a week off. I haven't had any problems and I haven't had the swine flu. Some people think that one reason the older population doesn't seem to be as susceptible to the current swine flu, is because they received a vaccine against a previous epidemic in the 70s, so you never know, getting the vaccine now, may pay dividends in the future.
Post a Comment