Saturday, August 25, 2007


Hello Everybody-

Due to the overwhelming response that I received from my last post, I thought that it would only be appropriate that I post again, so that you aren't left in the dark.

Medical school is great, other than there is a man in the next cubicle talking very loudly on his cell phone in the cubicle next to me, to make matters worse, he is speaking in another language and seems to slur a lot, it might be french, but I am not sure. Back to medical school. Attached you will see my 3 inch binder with most of the notes that I have in my first four weeks, yes that is the amount of material that I have to know for just my first set of tests. It is great though. I am having one of the best times of my life. Somedays I wonder if I am cut out for this, but I know that I can do it, because I feel like that this is what I am supposed to do. For all of you out there wondering if you should pursue a college education, of course you should. Should you pursue a professional degree, of course you should. Finally, every single class of every single day is tied directly to what I will be doing for the rest of my life. Granted, I know that graduate school isn't for everyone, but I truly enjoy it.

Anatomy lab is great. This week, we were able to look at all of the inner workings of the eye, from the muscles to the nerves, as well the major nerves, muscles and blood vessels of the face. Now, for all of you out there who are wondering about evolution vs creation. From what I know from a lot of studing, reading and analysis, I just don't see how evolution could have produced something so perfect as the human body. I just don't see how. I believe that random muations coupled with undirected (and I stress both random and undirected) selection, regardless of the time frame just couldn't produce something so perfect and beautifully coordinated as the human body. When you take into account all of the cell signaling and direction from a molecular level that occurs to just produce a human baby, I don't think that the odds of that happening randomly, regardless of selection, could ever produce something so perfect, I just don't. Believe me, if you are wondering about evolution and where we came from, pick up a basic embryology text and peruse its pages, trying to really understand how complex it is and then tell me if that could all happen by chance? There must be someone who knows all of the rules and who can set it all in motion, such that it comes out perfectly almost 100 percent of the time and that person must be God. I believe that we were created in the image of God, just like it says in Genesis. How God made it happen, that isn't the point, the point is that he did.

Well, I had better get back to studying about antibodies, another proof that we didn't just evolve. The immune system is like your own United States Armed Forces. You have the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force(well maybe not the Air Force) National Guard and Coast Guard all working together to keep you safe. Too specialized to have been produced randomly . . . I think so.

Ben

PS my new favorite thing to do is watch Mickey's Clubhouse with Clark every morning.

3 comments:

Aunt Soup said...

Ben, You have summed up my feelings on the subject of evolution very well. The body is truly amazing. It testifies of a creator. The earth testifies of a creator as well.

JethRobyn said...

I like your comments too, and I would love to have a longer conversation with you about it. But first, what do you have against the air force?

Jan said...

Ben says that antibodies don't really fly around.