Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Clark at the Baseball game, Pt. 2





We had a fun time at the baseball game on Friday. The weather was actually pleasant! We went with our Mormon friends.

On a related note, last night we had an interesting conversation wherein the two USU alumni were discussing the merits of creationism, while the two BYU students are arguing for evolution. Why would that be? My theory is that perhaps BYU students feel the need to assert their sophistication a bit more, having graduated from a church-school. Those who did not attend a church-school had to silently safeguard and defend their beliefs in the classroom and, consequently, developed strong faith and testimony for things that were often under attack.

But maybe I'm being myopic. Any comments from either alumni?

7 comments:

hosander said...

I agree, I think Zoobs, especially intelligent ones feel they need to solidify their secularism to show that they are thinking for themselves (see my blogpost)

Benjamin said...

May I ask how the conversation started? Also, you might enjoy this:

http://eyring.hplx.net/Eyring/faq/evolution/

Thaddeus said...

BYU has to embrace evolution in order to be accredited, so maybe they emphasize it a little more strongly there.

I personally don't view it as an insult to the work of God to say his handiwork is the result of "natural processes" such as natural selection. After all, what is a natural process that isn't God's process? We now know the mechanisms for fetal growth, but we don't view childbirth as any less of a miracle.

There is real evidence of evolution, and I can't, as a rational being, ignore it. Truth is truth, regardless of who discovers it.

The Darwinism vs. Creationism debate has done the world a terrible disservice by dividing us into camps. They do little more than generate inaccurate slogans to denigrate the other camp, while the truth lies on the battlefield somewhere in between.

Deidra said...

Back in high school my friends and I were discussing which school we were going to attend. One of my friends told me that she didn't think it was a good idea for me to go to USU (only one of the friends not to attend a church school) because I wouldn't "have standards there." I felt bad for the girl for thinking you had to have imposed standards to have any. I had to stand up for my beliefs, make the decision to attend Institute, and my church attendence was my responsibility. I think getting outside the "bubble" can make you appreciate the gospel even more.

Jancisco said...

Thad, I agree that evolution is a documented reality--Ben and I both see it in geology, animals, plants, and microorganisms, all we were saying is that it doesn't apply to Adam and Eve. God very well could have used the natural process of evolution for everything else, but Adam and Eve are different.

Mreen said...

jan - its maureen -

i found your blog from jethros which i found through my sis emilys..

your baby looks rad by the way. super cute.

i finally found a couple hours and started a blog for me and marc.. its not that great, but check it out once and a while!
http://zu-zweit.blogspot.com/

let me know how your doing..

Marueen

Dani said...

Hello Francisco's! I totally believe in evolution and creation and I have my own theory on their purpose in the great plan. I can email you my opinion, rather that type it here if you're ever interested. :)