I was wearing my red t-shirt with my wooden, tole-painted Santa Claus necklace. It had bells on the ribbon part. I looked like a 2nd grade teacher. I was running around with my friends, and then in walked Santa. The year before, Jethro was convinced that his teacher, Mr. N. was our Santa. And this year I was in his class, and I was pretty sure it was him again. He spoke like him, and walked like him. But, of course, there was that beard that I couldn't see through.
When it was my turn to sit on his lap, I meticulously took note of his watch and wedding ring. I would compare them to Mr. N's the next day. I asked for socks. Not because my parents never bought me socks, but because I was a smart-aleck.
The next day at school, I approached Mr. N with, I would say, aggressive curiosity. "Where were you last night?" I asked (which would be very inappropriate had I known any more about the world). "Home with my family" he answered. "Are you sure you weren't at my ward Christmas party as Santa?" I just laid it all out on the line. "Nope."
So the mystery was never resolved.
But I still think it was him.
5 comments:
awesome.
In 5th grade Mrs. Lambert asked some of us to work at her holiday party and said we might recognize the santa that was coming. I spoiled the surprise for everyone because I knew Mr. N moonlighted as that jolly old elf.
Hmmmm interesting. I never had him as a teacher but I remember him. I never knew HE was Santa, I would have tried harder to get in HIS class.
BTW did you ever ask Jethro if he remembered me? I left a comment on his blog once but he never responded...hmmmm come to think of it that is interesting as well.
Socks are one of my favorite Christmas gifts. A 6 pack of nice, new, cushy white socks. Seriously.
I have a hard time imagining you as a smart-aleck, or interrogating your teacher as to his whereabouts the night before. But I think it's awesome that you asked for socks.
I love E7. I'm sad I didn't hit the scene until 1996.
Post a Comment