Friday, August 01, 2008

Happy Birthday, Ben!

In the spirit of my new bff, TAWN, I would like to post a blog about how great my husband is. It was his birthday this week and now he is only one year younger than me. I love when that happens.

26 things to love about Ben (in no particular order)

26. His luscious, minx-y beard

12. From the pottery studio to Medical school? Who does that???

7. Brilliant gospel discussions

20. Wonderful family

18. A house full of Franny pots and paintings

21. On govorit po-russki so mnoi.

23. You've just got to see his beard.

19. He does things well. Everything. Meticulously correct.

22. He can fix our car.

3. He is a great dad to Clark--they love to wrestle and chase and growl at each other.


16. Ben remembers to get me a birthday/mother's day/anniversary card every year, on time. I,
on the other hand, remember to do a blog about him two days after his birthday has past.

5. He's got some pretty sweet muscles.

14. When it comes in, his beard is soft and thick and beautiful.

9. He loves to travel. He wants to live in the Northeast.


25. Ben is a fabulous cook--he likes to try different spices and experiment with different ethnic
cuisines.

11. He's grateful for dinner, too, when I make him tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich.
Even if it happens more than once a week.

10. He loved being a missionary, and he was a good one.

13. His beard makes him look at least 3 years older than me.

8. He doesn't play video games (no offense intended to those who do. I just think that makes us
especially compatible).

24. When he smiles, he gets the happiest wrinkles around his eyes.



6. His teeth are beautiful. Our children need to get his teeth. (see above photo).

15. He studies and studies and studies at school so that he can be home when he's home.

2. He is uber polite.

17. He worked for a rodeo company for a few years and grew up with horses.

4. When I was in Mia Maids, I made a list of things I wanted in a husband and it included the
following: Dark hair. Blue eyes. A cowboy. An artist. Strong. Worthy priesthood holder. Good cook. Pret-ty amazing how that one turned out, eh?

1. Even though I would really really like him to grow a beard, he won't because its against his principles. He doesn't give in to peer pressure, not even to his wife. I really admire that about him.

Happy Birthday, Benny! I love you.

17 comments:

Benjamin said...

The reason I'm not concerned about the video game comment (not that I play a lot of video games, but I do enjoy the occasional Super Bowl run in Madden 2008) is that your Ben doesn't play any games -- video or regular -- so it's not so much a statement against video games. . .

. . . which aren't inherently evil, by the way, in case anyone is inclined to misinterpret a General Authority quote as saying we should never, ever play 'em. Balance and moderation in all things.

Benjamin said...

Also, happy birthday, Ben!

Jolyn said...

I'm not sure you gave enough details on his beard, Jan... I think you should do a post solely about Ben's beard, so that we can all be sure and get the full details on that. Happy birthday, Ben.

hosander said...

Hey Ben, have you seen Jethro's beard recently?

Good work on finding your YW dream man, you must really understand the plan.

happy birthday Jan'sBen!

Bus Gillespie said...

Happy Birthday Ben. In one more year I'm growing my beard so I look like the ZZ Top guys!!

Ben said...

Jan, your husband must be a pretty lucky guy to have such a kind and thoughtful wife. I hope that I can meet someone just like you someday.

JethRobyn said...

Happy Birthday Ben!!
I just want to say, Jan..my husbands beard is better than yours :) ...But I want to shave it off. So Ben, your non-existent beard is better than Jethro's. I wish he had principle's about not growing one...argh. Jan you married a good guy!

JethRobyn said...

By the way Jan...are you excited for tomorrow...BREAKING DAWN!!!

Seantae Jackson said...

Hello my dear! I've been so bad with blogging- sorry. I was hoping to see a picture of your pregnant belly on here- and there isn't one! Are you due in the next few weeks? Are you excited to have another one? Looking at your picts makes me want to move! You guys look great! Happy Birthday Ben!

Lyssa Beth said...

That's a great list. I could tell you like beards. And I agree, I love that site too :)

Sarah Johnson said...

Hey cowboy! A big happy birthday to yo' man! This is, by far, the greatest list ever.

I'd love to come over for tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwhiches. Just let me know when.

Lindsey Whiting said...

I loved the list, how cute of you to do that Jan! And just out of curiosity how long would you want him to grow his beard if he did? Like are we talking braidable beard hair? or seven brides for seven brothers beard hair?:0) Just curious.

janel said...

I remember those Mia Maids lists. I shudder to think I could have gotten as perfect a match to my list as you did to yours. At least you were inspired. : )

JEM said...

Happy birthday, Ben! You're awesome! That sounds like a truly phenomenal beard. Jan, my heart goes out to you. I, too, am a beard-believer. And also congrats on snagging your 14-year-old dream man. I love it when that happens.

Kellee said...

What a sweet post Jan...I learned a lot of things I didn't know :) Happy Birthday Ben!

Steve said...

Lammy here- so I'm sure this comment will get lost in the mass of well-wishers, but I just wanted to say hi to both of you and tell Ben С Днём Рождения!

Dianna said...

I'm impressed that you and Ben speak in Russian. I wish Charles and I were better about that!