Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Back to Utah

So we have arrived in Utah. It is nice to be back here, but I must admit that San Antonio is a pretty good place too. There are several things that I have noticed is the few short hours that we have been here:

#1- The mountains are much bigger than I remember.
#2- I can see forever here.
#3- There aren't as many trees as I remember.
#4- It seems like we never left

The flight and trip was pretty uneventful. However, there we several funny moments:

#1- I forgot the give Mark Rowan three oranges that I set out especially to give to him. I hope that he let himself into our apartment to get them, or there might three green, moldy balls on our counter when we get home
#2- There were two ladies in front of us on the trip from San Antonio to Dallas. There was one lady sitting on the aisle. The next lady who came insisted that the other lady sit by the window, because the aisle was her seat. Then she changed her mind and sat by the window, even though it wasn't "her" seat. She said that she wanted to sit by the window, because she was going to sleep the whole way anyway. Well, she slept the whole 45 minutes we were in the air. I tried to be nice and wake her up, but she must have meant what she said about being tired, because I couldn't wake her up, so I just deboarded.
#3- In the Dallas airport we were really hungry. We wandered over to a nice pastry shop and decided that we didn't want to pay money for a pastry. She we found a pretzel shop. Jan, after much deliberation, decided that she would have a garlic pretzel. Then to my amazement the lady took the last pretzel out of the glass pretzel warmer, went over to a box, picked up your typical spice bottle, turned to stand over the garbage can and dumped a white substance on Jan's pretzel. I wondered what it was, but I had a good idea. She handed the pretzel to Jan and as we turned to walk away, Jan took a big bite of the pretzel that she had turned down a French pastry for and then just about threw up. What would you think would be on a garlic pretzel? A nice creamy garlic butter? Probably on every other garlic pretzel you order such would be the case, but on this special pretzel, the lady just dumped a bunch of garlic powder on it and handed it to Jan. Notice I said garlic powder, that doesn't even equate to garlic salt. So I wiped the garlic powder off of the pretzel for Jan and then bought her a Frosty and some gum so that she could get the garlic out of her mouth. So in the end, we should have just got the French pastry, that pretzel made us spend three extra dollars.

I hope that you all have a Merry Christmas. We miss you all and for those that are in Utah, we will see you soon.

with love,

Ben

6 comments:

Jan said...

I love this post. Yay for Ben!

the Danosaur said...

Have no fear of moldy oranges on your kitchen counter when you get home.

Speaking of your trip to the airport, Mark called me at about 7:10 to tell me that he wasn't sure he was on the right road home. "I think I'm on 281," he said. "281 should lead into 410 pretty soon," I replied. "Um, I've been on this road for about 5 minutes already..."

Uh oh. "What exits are you passing?" "Broadway..."

So after a scenic detour through downtown and some coaching from me, Mark made it back home in a LOT longer than it should have taken. My favorite part was that he thought he was on 410 the entire time--especially since the scenery on 281 is all trees, and the scenery on 410 is all cement. I guess he can be forgiven since the only places he really goes are school, home, and church.

And...sorry for leaving a long story in a blog comment. I kind of got carried away.

Seantae Jackson said...

You're here!?

Can we see you sometime? We moved, but still in the same little town in the same little state! We've got lots of houses to go to and from until Christmas... but we'd love to see you guys!!!

Please call me! (even if it's to say that you're too busy to see me!) If you don't still have my phone number email me, and I'll give it to you again!

Beetle said...

Ben, you should post more. Kudos for this blog

Ann-Marie said...

We hope you guys have so much fun!!! We'll keep checking to see all that you're up to! :)

Michelle said...

Your blog is hysterical! I love it! It was so fun to see you guys at the Gillespie party! I finally linked you guys up to our blog so we can check you out regularly!