Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Our New Place

After a suspense filled few days, I thought that I had let the momentum build enough and now would be a good time to blog about our new found home.

First, I would like to say that I think that San Antonio is great and I know that we made the right decision to go to medical school there. I am very excited about our upcoming adventure.

Alright, down to business. At first Jan and I thought that it would be best to purchase a home. However, after we got down to the nitty gritty and found out that Texas taxes would be about $300 a month giving us a monthly payment of almost 1k, that dream quickly faded, given the fact that our monthly budget would be about $2000 a month. So, we decided that we should probably rent for the time being. When my dad and I arrived in San Antonio, we got a for rent publication and started going down the list. We looked at a lot of places, but the place that we liked best was at Honey Hill. It was the biggest, nicest, cleanest and the cheapest place that we looked at. Granted we could have found something cheaper, if we wanted to live 45 minutes from the medical school, however, this place seemed to be the best.

One option that renting opens up for us is at the medical school they have a program where you can go to very southern Texas to do your 3rd and 4th year rotations. The big plus about this program is that you get to work directly with the attending physician, in more words or less, you are the resident. I think that this would be great. In fact, this was one of the big selling points of San Antonio for me. We wouldn't be able to do this if we were committed to a monthly mortgage, so we'll see what happens, maybe renting is the way to go for now.

I hope this link works so that you can see a few pictures of our new place. If you have any issues with the pictures I took, I apologize. You have to remember that I was taking them for Jan so that she could see what the whole place looks like, aesthetics weren't necessarily the most important part of this photo-journal.

1 comment:

JethRobyn said...

I'm excited for you guys...and YEA for renting as long as possible to save money :) Its a good plan after all!