Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Voronezh Reunion, 2010

You know the kinds of friends that you haven't spent time with in 8 years and then you get together and no time has passed at all?  That was the joy of our time with Anne, Angelene and Sarah this past week.  Same inside jokes, same comments about Igor's sweater vest, same closeness that comes from people who have slept in the 3rd class wagon of a Russian train together (you can BET we sprung for linens on that trip).  I just loved having them here.

We went on a dolphin-spotting adventure in the bay. Very reminiscent of a particularly nauseating boat ride we also shared from Tallin to Helsinki.

"Mom! Take a picture of my lion!"
We spent a little time at King Ranch in Kingsville, TX on our way up to San Antonio.  Clark had some grinding to do, so it was a good thing we stopped by. . .

Hanging out in the Mesquite tree. 

Eva threw up on the way to Kingsville. She matched when we left home, but her replacement shirt just happened to scream "tourist". If anyone can pull it off though, its Eva. She's sassy.
Saddles on the ranch.
The drive up to San Antonio was spectacular! I've heard about the Texas wildflower explosion every year, but I had not yet experienced it--flowers spontaneously growing all around the freeway, fields full of them. It was breathtaking.
While in San Antonio, we had a chance to go to a rodeo (after watching 8 Seconds the night before, we were inspired). It was fantastic, and this lucky girl, Angelene, got to dance with a somewhat inebriated middle aged cowboy afterwards. I would call that a very complete experience.
There were fish in the well.

What a great week.  Thanks so much for coming, друзя!  Вы молодцы!

By the way, we'll be down here for only 70 more days.  So plan your trips soon if you want a free place to stay!!!

10 comments:

stephanie itri said...

That's wonderful you've had such great visitors! Time running out in TX, huh? I should be a real friend and actually call you back, then I would know that... I love you!

the Danosaur said...

That is a mighty ferocious tiger lurking in the wildflowers!

Only 70 days! Ahh!! (Who's counting?!)

hosander said...

I like the picture of them in front of the window. I like Eva. and Clark. and Eva and Clark.
I think your friends must be pretty nice too.

harosho.

lisa said...

Wow! Time flies! It's good to catch up with you all (blogstyle). The chillins are adorable-and congrats on the 3rd coming soon!

fREnCh TrOSt said...

That's awesome that you guys got together! I'm jealous! Thanks for posting pic's, it's nice to see what old friends are up too!

Seantae Jackson said...

How neat is it to be able to see them again! And yes, Eva can pull off about anything!

Zach and Codi said...

I'm so jealous!! We totally need to have an Omsk girls and Emily reunion SOON!!!!

The Francis Family said...

I didn't even know you knew Russian! Eva is looking so cute! I can't wait for you guys to move back here so we can get together soon! Have fun this summer!

Anne said...

I can't think of anything better than making a pie while talking about sweater vests, thanks so much for letting us come visit. It was so fun to see you and your cute family! Hopefully the next time won't be in 8 more years.

Sarah Johnson said...

okay, so i'm a little behind in my blog reading, but i still loved this! you guys are the best...texas rodeo, inebriated cowboys, 8 seconds (it changed me), dolphins, pies, sweater vests? and yes, it better not be another 8 years. but if it is, i know we'll still pick up right where we left off.