It's Ben's last day home before he has to start school again. We've loved this three week break. But today made us ready for it to be over.
9:00am-- We decide to take the kids to see the matinee of "The Princess and the Frog".
11:20am-- We are rushing around to get out the door. Our kind friends agreed to watch Eva (so we wouldn't have to pay $5 for us to chase her around the theater).
11:49am-- We pull up to the theater for the 11:45 show. It actually started at 11:25. We decide to go in anyway, since the previews accounted for all but 3 or 4 minutes of the elapsed time.
1:30pm--Clark is so terrified by the voodoo and dark magic of the show that he has tears in his eyes and has to be carried everywhere. (not a good show for tender-hearted toddlers).
2:30pm-- Kids are asleep, Ben decides to start working on his motorcycle, just a little routine maintenance, make sure it is working smoothly for the next six months. His front brakes are sometimes a little iffy. This is news to me. Nightmare-inducing news.
3:00pm-- An essential bolt is stripped. Brake fluid spews out everywhere when he depresses the brake, no motorcycle for Monday. Luckily our nice neighbor offers his extra car for a few days, thanks Joe.
3:10pm-- He takes the whole brake caliper off and sees that the part he was trying to fix wasn't broken after all (but now it is). The part is over $250.
6:00pm-- After a little dinner, we head out to some auto part stores to find a tap and die set to re-thread the hole. First place didn't have one. Discovered that Eva had a dirty diaper. Also realized that I didn't have my diaper bag, just a little purse that I had taken to the movies.
6:10pm-- Going to True Value to see if they had the part since the first place didn't.
6:11pm-- Train stops traffic going through the middle of town.
6:20pm-- Train stops.
6:25pm-- Train starts backing up.
6:30pm-- Train stops again.
6:37pm-- Train starts going again. Forwards.
6:45pm-- We arrive at True Value. It is closed.
6:55pm-- We arrive at Sears. I head straight to the bathroom with a poopy Eva, hoping that it will just be a quick plop in the toilet. No such luck. It's like tar-poop. And I have no wipes, and no diaper. If this seems familiar, it should. I started with a couple of wads of toilet paper that the tar just scorned and mocked. Then I ordered a lady to get me some more, stat. She obliged. Wetting it helped. Eva ended up with a clean bum and no diaper, but she was wearing tights, so she wasn't too immodest.
7:10pm-- Sears doesn't have what we need either. We head to Papa Murphey's to make tomorrow night's dinner easier.
7:20pm-- Order.
7:30pm-- Still waiting. Eva pees on their rug. We don't tell.
7:45pm-- Wonder how this could be saving us time, since we could have made a pizza in the time it was taking them to walk around and just glance at the orders before eating some more cookies.
7:55pm-- Finally get our pizza. Go home. Eva's wet. Clark's hungry (but, luckily, the terror has worn off). Ben's frustrated about his motorcycle. I'm tired.
8:10pm-- Clark pees in the almost full bathtub.
8:10:35-- I empty the tub and refill it.
8:40pm-- The kids are in bed and we recuperate with a slice of apple pie.
Days like this make me appreciate how my life is usually truly guided by the spirit. I like it so much better that way.
9 comments:
Oh, wow. What a day. And thanks for the voodoo warning--I can see my girls doing the same thing (crying...and peeing in the full bathtub). At least tomorrow's a new day...good for hiding diapers in nooks and crannies of your car that you'll be grateful for some day.
Just a good reminder to me to just take some extra diapers and wipes and stick them in the car. I also worry about the Murphy's Law taking affect at the most inconvenient time.
My favorite time of your day was 730pm. lol
I have to tell you though, she's justified, being a baby and all. Two months ago, an old, drunk guy came through the checkout line at work, (wanted to buy some more beer) but as he was standing in line, he started peeing on the floor AND it was as if he DIDNT EVEN NOTICE! Of course, the customers and employees did. He was kicked out, and I am glad I didn't have to clean up his mess.
Woa! You change your bath water for a little pee? Really? I'm sure my kids do it all the time and I never even know it.
Sad story - all too familiar.
reading this made me very tired. you deserve a medal.
Oh man...these type of days just seem to never end. Although pie does seem to make stress melt...
I am so sorry to hear about the (now) broken motorcycle! Ugh! What a mess!
I always think of you when I want to just run to the store quick without my diaper bag. I always choose to take it, even if it doesn't go in the store with me.
The train thing is so funny...why do trains back up? Weren't they just there? And why do they back up at the slowest speed possible, in the middle of traffic in the middle of the city? Why don't they do that at midnight?
Again - you both deserve pie! What a day!
Bummer.
Here's to a better day tomorrow.
And thanks for the tip about the scary parts for tender hearted toddlers. Good to know.
Oh dear. You're a trooper.
Man! Wow. Those are the types of days that make you look at your husband... shake your head... and tell him that no one would even beleive how your day has gone.
They would think it was made up.
But it isn't. Way to go on surviving.
Oh my goodness. When I was reading it I smiled and kinda laughed at some parts, but then I was like, "why am laughing?" And then I realized that I knew why, it's because those days seem so similar to some of our days and my laugh was actually a laugh of sadness (if I wouldn't laugh I would just have to cry). But as you said, the Spirit guides you and you still try to be optimistic. Even if you are crying inside you put that smile on outside and face those obstacles bravely, at least try to the best of your ability.
~Lena
Post a Comment