Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Chapters of Our Life

Chapter One: An apology.

Sheesh, seriously? Over a month? So sorry my blogging fans (Hi Toni and Mom!). I'm sure we'll get things revved up for Christmas. Sorry I have been so neglectful.


Chapter Two: Joys of Potty Training

No, there really are joys! Like every time Clark goes #2 in the potty and looks at me with these eyes that bespeak a most precious gift, and a little half smile that says, "that one was for you, mom". And it is a gift. I don't want to clean that up.
And the other day he did a really, really big #2 job and he was so proud of himself and I examined it in the toilet and said, "good job, buddy! That was a big one!" and he said, in his lilting singsong, "fanks! fanks!" As if it were obvious that "a big one" was a compliment. And then he happily waved and called out, "bye bye poop!" as it twirled down the drain.

I actually get a lot of joy out of this stage of life. He is becoming so independent.

Chapter Three: President Monson's Talk
So, I don't know if you caught the Christmas Devotional, but it was stunning. Like it always is. I love that they can do Handel and O Holy Night and other non-hymn-y Christmas songs during it. Anyway, either President Monson said it, or the Spirit whispered it straight to me, but the message was, don't stress out over the little things of Christmas. So, in light of my monster-mom persona today, and realizing that some things aren't essential, we won't be sending any Christmas cards out this year. So don't be offended if you don't get one. No one will. Maybe we'll send something electronically later on. When me and Bruce Banner figure out how to normalize our tempers.

Chapter Four: We went to Utah!
A fun spontaneous trip for me and the kids. I didn't take any pictures because we are so cheap that we opted for carry on. And there was no room in the pack for a camera. Imagine, if you will, a scraggly mother, herding two small children down the airplane aisle, while sporting a bursting backpacking pack, with straps flinging themselves at my fellow passengers. There are still a LOT of good people in this world, I will tell you that for sure. Fortunately, my sister Hosander took lots of sweet pictures at her house. Here are a couple. (the computer I'm working on won't let me load any more. Sorry, they are really cute, too. I'll try again later.)

Eva had a hard time warming up while we were there. She's really never been cold in her life. We loved playing with Anna, Lincoln and Sophie. My mom, Toni and I quilted a lot, and watched a lot of movies. I honestly think I could watch Mamma Mia every day for the rest of my life and be a much happier person for it. (How long do you think it would take, of watching it every day, before I just finally move to Greece?). Jethro and Robyn moved into their NEW house while we were there, and Thad came down for games a few times. It was ideal.
PLUS (big plus) Buguh/Buguh Francisco came up to play for a day and we went to Clark's Nirvana: The Monte L. Bean Museum. So, so many animals. All of them dead and stuffed. A much warmer, easier, cheaper and friendlier alternative to the zoo. We had so much fun with them! Thanks for coming up!

Chapter 5: And thus we see. . .
We have been doing stuff. Not alot, but some. Life is going by so quickly, I find myself with two toddlers, no babies, a new virtue to work on (patience), a new season to enjoy, Ben's going to be finished with this Internal Medicine rotation in 7 days (hallelujah! Oh, wait, surgery is next. . .) and things are just often in flux. At least my kitchen floor is consistently dirty. I can always count on that.



8 comments:

Jessica F. said...

I am so glad you are back. I have missed you. It sounds like you have had a LOT going on.

Ali said...

I hear ya on the potty training thing...there are bright spots in the frustrating world of potty training. My little one doesn't tell me she needs to go at all so we have to rely on the clock and hope there are no accidents in the mean time. So whenever she does tell me she needs to go it makes me so happy! :) She might as well be saying "mommy I love you" because that is how it makes me feel!

hosander said...

I only have/check blogs because of you. So get on it.
This was a good one, I hope you can get yourself "Mamma Mia" for christmas.

Ann-Marie said...

I've missed your posts!! Sounds like you and I are in the same mode. No Christmas Cards for us either! :) (and all the other things that are going by the wayside).

G goes into surgery next as well. Oh the joys. Hopefully we'll survive.

My kitchen floor has already been swept twice today, and its dirty again.

;)

Mariley Johnson said...

It's good to hear from you Jan!

Lindsey Whiting said...

Glad you had a fun trip to Utah! I love Mamma Mia! Phil gave it to me for my birthday in April and I watched it everyday for awhile, I just love to listen to the music!

Dianna said...

Good luck with surgery. Seriously.

Sara said...

Chapter 1: I am a fan along with your Mom and Toni!

2: You are beautiful. I love the pics.

3. I'm glad I'm not the only one with a dirty floor.

4. I haven't even seen Momma Mia. And now I feel the need to fix that.

I love you January!